Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Fourth, Family, and Fun

Last week was absolutely crazy! I had the house to myself Monday and Tuesday so I was able to casually get some things done at my own pace, slow and steady! The rest of the week was on drill sergent Ryan's time. We finally got a night on the town Tuesday when we went to watch the fireworks on  his company's 11th story balcony in Addison, it was really beautiful and we had a great time with good food and friends. After that our free time was dedicated to getting our house ready for Ryan's family to come over, what a whirlwind but we really got the house in good shape, toddler proofed and ready for a crowd.

The main thing that I am of course happy to show off are my dining room curtains!!!! They were quite a feat but worth all the work!


I am so happy with the way they turned out, I made the blue panels and really the hardest part was keeping the blackout lining straight while sewing. As for the two khaki panels they were at such a great price at Lowe's I couldn't pass them up, I bought one 84" that lined up pefectly with the ones I had sewn and I bought one 63" which fell perfectly above the window unit! I wish I could link you to the blue fabric, but I had to drive to another city to pick up their last few yards of it and can not seem to find it online, it is a Waverly fabric and after working with it it seems to be a great interior fabric brand. Overall I love the way they turned out and enjoyed the copliments from the family!

Also on my list of things to do was to hide my crooked failed attempt at a roman shade on my back door. I must say that this quick easy fix really did the trick! What do ya think?....


I simply bought a rounded curtain rod, made a loop to slip it through and finished the edges, I used the same fabric as my dining room to tie everything together. Then I used the existing holes in the door, that I was wanting to hide anyway, to hang it (no husband needed!)

As for other projects I made a wreath for my front door that I am absolutely in love with!


After all the projects were done nd the family rolled in we had a fabulous time. We broke out the smoker and had a tasty pool party, Ryan bought me a propane burner and we boiled some fresh Louisiana gulf shrimp, and I got to use my brand new KitchenAid mixer to make the most delicous sweet in the world...German Chocolate Cake! It has been sad these last two mornings to not hear a little one running around but...maybe I should just enjoy quiet mornings while I have them...

No comments:

Post a Comment